The Synagogue, c. 1915
[Royal Albert Memorial Museum, Exeter]
A photograph presented to the Museum in 1933 by Charles Samuels,president of the synagogue for 58 years. At that time the synagoguefaced a mattress factory, in a poor part of central Exeter. At theend of Synagogue Place was the entrance to a court, overcrowded slumdwellings. To the right of the synagogue is a building that formerlybelonged to the congregation, housing at various times the shammas,the cheder and the minister of the synagogue. It was sold at anunknown date, and eventually demolished in the 1960s and replaced byElm House.
Home AboutUs About the RestorationHolocaust TestimoniesFrom Our NewslettersVisits Tour